Becoming a Board of Education Member
The Rye Neck Board of Education is made up of six members who are elected by voters living in the school district. Members of the Board serve for a three-year term. Terms are staggered so that each year the terms of two members expire.
Each spring, voters not only elect two Board members but are also asked to approve the school district’s annual operating budget for the upcoming school year.
This year, the election of Board members and the school budget vote are scheduled to take place on Tuesday, May 17. The current three-year terms of Board members Gloria Golle and Pietro Fasolino will expire this year.
Candidates seeking to become a Board of Education member must be nominated by petition. Candidates should contact District Clerk Mary Ellen Chiera at firstname.lastname@example.org or 914-777-5252 to obtain the petition and any other required materials. Such petition shall contain the signatures and addresses of at least 25 qualified voters of the District or 2% of the voters who voted in the previous annual election, whichever is greater, and shall state the name and residence of the candidate. Each petition shall be filed with the District Clerk not later than 4 p.m. on April 18, 2022.
The qualifications of a Rye Neck Board candidate are that the candidate be:
● able to read and write;
● a qualified voter of the district; and
● a resident of the school district for at least one year immediately prior to election
Anyone who is interested in seeking election as a Board member is encouraged to see Section 2000 of the Rye Neck Policy Manual, which details all aspects of Board of Education governance, responsibilities and operations.
The New York State School Boards Association has also developed a helpful brochure on what prospective school board members should know about taking on this important community responsibility.
In addition, the members of the current Board have offered their thoughts on what it means to serve on the Rye Neck Board of Education.
Trustee Election Timeline
- April 18, 2022: Nominating Petitions are due by 4 p.m.
- April 18, 2022: 1st Candidate Expenditure Form due by 4 p.m.
- April 19, 2022: Candidates need to be present in Administration Office at 9 a.m. to draw straws for placement on ballot
- May 12, 2022: 2nd Candidate Expenditure Form due by 4 p.m.
- May 17, 2022: Budget Vote & Trustee Election
- June 6, 2022: 3rd Candidate Expenditure Form due by 4 p.m.
- Potential Candidates’ Forum Sponsored by the League of Women Voters - Date TBA